Saturday, June 13, 2009

Calgary & Banff

Christine wanted to run a spring marathon, and chose to do Calgary. It fit in the right weekend with her hectic schedule, and was reasonably nearby. I lobbied hard, persuading her to go to nearby Banff with me for a day or two afterwards for some R&R. Originally, this was going to come right on the heels of my return from Alaska. It wasn't as whirlwind of a schedule that was originally planned, thank goodness. Christine ran a pretty awesome marathon, and was surprised a couple of weeks later to find a prize money check in the mail that had the decimal point a little further to the right than she expected (you go, hon!).

We stayed at a cute hotel, were lazy, and did some sightseeing. It was awesome.

Pretty mountains, pretty girl:


One alpine glacier-fed lake (Lake Louise), one elite runner (4th place open women at the Calgary Marathon!), and one Quasimoto:


More amazing scenery, and some cool looking climbing routes visible from Moraine Lake:


My parents used to drive me around when I was a colicky baby to get me to fall asleep. Apparently it still works if Christine does it - please note I was not colicky prior to this photo being taken:


More scenic lakes:


Cascade Falls
in summer conditions - Gore Tex and rock gear recommended for an Eiger Sanction - style ascent through a waterfall :P


This trip was great! I did my best not to let injury and discomfort keep me down, and Christine was a champ about doing the driving. Thanks, hon!

No comments:

Post a Comment