Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm off to Alaska!!

The massive duffel is packed. The last food has been dehydrated. The final trips to REI and Feathered Friends have been made. I get on a plane with Kevin tomorrow to Anchorage. From there we will catch a shuttle to the tiny town of Talkeetna (we'll stop in Wasilla for groceries, I'm hoping maybe to get First Dude's autograph).

Once in Talkeetna, we'll take a glacier plane to the Ruth Gorge, stay for a few days and make an attempt on The Moose's Tooth, and later the Kahiltna glacier to give Mt. Hunter a shot. With any luck, we'll be able to squeeze in another technical day climb or two while up there. I'm excited and nervous. The planning that has gone into this trip has been a massive piece of work in itself, and it is a relief to finally have it here.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped and supported me in making this happen. First and foremost, the support of my fiancee Christine; she's endured endless jibba-jabba by me about the trip, my itinerant lifestyle climbing this winter and spring in preparation, and my extended absence. In addition, thanks to all my climbing partners, friends, and mentors (especially those at the Bushwhacker Climbing Club) who have given me inspiration, beta, and hooked me up with gear. Finally, the support of family (both mine and Christine's) has been very important. Thanks, everyone!

I'll return May 27th or 28th, hopefully with great photos and stories of the trip of a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. I saw Dan H's posts. Awesome. Rock it up in AK, in a safe kind of way! So jealous. I'll check out the stories afterward. Drop me a line when you post. kc-climbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete